The Social Explorers play group at Alphonsus Academy will help build a child’s emotional intelligence and social thinking toolbox. Research indicts that top performers and leaders demonstrate a high level of emotional intelligence in the classroom and beyond. This enrichment program will use Michelle Garcia Winner’s Social Thinking Curriculum as well as integrate mindfulness based approaches to build social confidence, foster pro-social learning, and promote leadership within the community through a variety of hands on learning experiences and activities. In this fun context, participates will learn about flexible thinking styles, emotional intelligence, and being a collaborative leader.
Additional concepts covered in the curriculum:
- Social Smarts: The type of “smarts” in our brains that we use whenever we are around other people. Social smarts help our brain to know that others are having thoughts about us and we are having thoughts about them. We use social smarts in school, at home, and EVERYWHERE
- School Smarts: Different types of “smarts” in our brain that we use for school learning.
- Body in the group: Your body is in the group if you are following the group plan..
- Brain in the group: Your brain is in the group when you are paying attention to what is happening in the group.
- Thinking with your eyes: This means that you are using your eyes to look at a person and it makes them feel that you are thinking about what they are saying or doing.
- Expected and Unexpected Behaviors
The program is based on the SuperFlex curriculum developed by Michelle Garcia Winner, MA, CCC-SLP.
Offered to children Kinder-2nd grade
Thursdays from 3:00-4:00
November 29th, 2018 – February 18, 2019 (No session 12/6/18, 12/27/18, 1/3/19)
Provided by: Kristy Zatvornitsky, MSW